It’s that wonderful time of year when we give thanks for all the stuff that we have, and then rush out to the malls and big box stores to trample one another just for the opportunity to buy more shit that we probably don’t even need. The Thanksgiving Holiday also heralds the official start of the ski/snowboard season at many resorts across North America, and even though it hasn’t started exactly here, yet, there’s still plenty to be thankful for:
- Friends & family. Figure this goes without saying but I don’t want to leave anyone out so this has to be #1 on the list. Family & friends kick ass. Family’s always there for you, friends are always pushing you, or offering you a couch to crash on or to split a tank of gas on the way to the mountain.
- Metal. There’s a sub-genre for any mood or situation from its origins through the poseur-y ballads of 1980s glam to all-out thrash, to melodic black metal to the hooky riffs and clean vocals of power metal. You literally can’t go wrong with an all metal playlist.
- Pizza. This could be the alpha and omega of foods, and as such, should need no further explanation.
- Snowboards. D’uh. Thanks Sherman for inventing that goofy snurfer that Jake and Tom and others adopted and modified and gave us the planks we ride today.
- Science. Without science we couldn’t blow man-made snow or cook meth or fly from the BFE to the mountains out West. Science is pretty effin’ cool. Now if they’d only get hip and figure out a weather control device…
There are probably a few (dozen) other profound things that I probably should say I’m thankful for, but then that wouldn’t make a very fun list so take this for what it is.
Feel free to sound off with your own thanks or whatever, and if you’re not sliding yet, hopefully Ullr blesses you soon!